Quick Tips!

Help Save Zoo Funding

|


I recently received the following message from the Wildlife Conservation Society (WCS). I wanted to share this information with my audience. I signed the petition several months ago and hope there is something we can all do to help.

An Urgent Message From Tiki Barber


Dear Friend:

As someone who cares about the environment, conservation, education, and economic development in New York City, I urge you to send a message to Mayor Bloomberg and the New York City Council to restore city funding to the Bronx Zoo and New York Aquarium.

As a parent of two young children and a regular visitor to the Zoo, I know from first-hand experience that the Bronx Zoo and New York Aquarium educate and inspire thousands of children and teachers and are essential to the cultural fabric of our city. These beloved institutions are an integral part of their communities and stabilize the city’s economy by providing well paying jobs and supporting local businesses. They work jointly with schools and area community groups to provide free or affordable access and programming for the most vulnerable citizens.

According to a 2008 national public opinion survey, 79 percent of Americans believe that zoos and aquariums are good for their local economy, and an impressive 80 percent believe that zoos and aquariums are important enough to local communities to be supported by government funding. But you don’t need a survey to tell you that. All you need to do is go there, as I do with my boys, and see the children’s faces light up. That tells you all you need to know.

New York City is great because of its great cultural institutions. Please join me in asking City Hall to recognize the important and unique role of cultural institutions like the Bronx Zoo and New York Aquarium.

I hope you can do your part in support of this cause. Have you visited the NYC Zoos lately?

For additional links to frugal tips and tricks follow me on Twitter. If you would like to contribute to FrugalNYC in any way, feel free to contact me via email. Click here to add FrugalNYC to your RSS reader or Subscribe to FrugalNYC by Email.

Photo courtesy of law_keven

0 comments:

Older Articles in Archive