Dental care is more expensive than general health care. Many people overlook this fact. Many others just skip the dental visit altogether. Even if you don't visit the dentist as often as you should, there are some things you should do at home to keep your teeth healthy. Besides daily brushing and flossing you can do (or not do) the following to avoid grinding your teeth.
- Do not eat or drink for at least one hour before bedtime
- Don't drink alcohol at night, it can aggravate bruxism (subconscious grinding of teeth).
- Don't take vitamins, minerals or other herbal medication which can excite you at night before bed.
- Working until right before going to bed is bad. Let yourself relax before bed.
- Use deep breathing techniques or other meditation/prayer methods to relax before bed.
- If you have pain in the face or jaw, use ice on your jaw joints or a wet, hot towel on the face until you can get proper dental care.
For additional links to frugal tips and tricks follow me on Twitter. If you would like to contribute to FrugalNYC in any way (guest posts, articles, ideas, interesting links, advice, financial assistance, or anything else), feel free to contact me via email. Click here to add FrugalNYC to your RSS reader or Subscribe to FrugalNYC by Email.
Photo by Tanakawho