Quick Tips!

Zipcar Without A Membership Fee

|
If you live in NYC, you don't really need a car.  However, having access to one when you need it is very handy.  I've been a member of Zipcar for about 2 years now and used their basic (occasional driving) plan for a few trips.  Recently I decided to put the membership on hold, but there was no way to do so without canceling the service.

New to FrugalNYC? Click here to add FrugalNYC to your RSS reader or Subscribe to FrugalNYC by Email.

I called Zipcar's representatives 2 times in the span of about a month.  Both times, I was told I will need to cancel my membership and I can sign up again when I need it.  If I re-enabled my account within 90 days I will not have to pay an additional application fee, which includes a search they do on your driving records.

If I were to re-join after the 90 day period, there would be a $25 application fee and I'll wait a few days for it to clear before I can use the service as normal.

I decided to cancel before I was charged my usual yearly membership fee, since I have no need for a car in some time now.  Surprise!  I was told there is a plan that I can use without a yearly fee!  It's call the Access plan and you can ask for it instead of cancelling your membership.  I'm not sure why they keep it so secret, since I cannot find any info on this plan online.  I was not told about this until I called to cancel.

I'm glad they have such a plan, as I'd love to remain a member without paying the fee.  The catch, of course this is one, is that you can only rent cars from Monday - Friday, only the non-luxury cars, and you are limited to 100 Miles a day instead of the usual 180 Miles.

I plan on staying on this plan until I know I have a need for a car, which can be enabled pretty much instantly once I pay my yearly member fee for the usual plans.

Have you had such an experience?  Has this information helped you stay a Zipcar member?  Leave me your thoughts in the comments.

For additional links to frugal tips and tricks follow me on Twitter. If you would like to contribute to FrugalNYC in any way feel free to contact me via email. Click here to add FrugalNYC to your RSS reader or Subscribe to FrugalNYC by Email.

0 comments:

Older Articles in Archive