I saw an article in the newspaper about the following and found it helpful. If you are living a healthy lifestyle it will definitely make your "frugal" tendencies worthwhile. Living healthy is more important than any other aspect of frugal living.
As in Chinese herbal remedies, these Latin cuisine based remedies are very helpful to those living a more "natural medicine" lifestyle. So what are the benefits of a Latin cuisine?
- Chamomile is used to soothe an upset stomach, as a sleep aid and to treat irritated or red eyes.
- Cinnamon tea is believed to regulate blood sugar, relieve cold symptoms and cure diarrhea. So stop reaching for tylenol cold and get a cup of cinnamon tea instead.
- Cactus is thought to have beneficial effect on blood sugar levels, and to aid digestion as well as help heal stomach ulcers. So instead of Peptol bismol, try some cactus!
- Flaxseed is scientifically proven to be a good source of omega-3 fatty acids, flaxseed is thought to clean the intestines. Instead of going to the doctor and getting a "colin cleanse" try eating more fish and perhaps taking some flaxseed supplements.
- Chili peppers offer relief from the common cold by promoting mucus drainage. Spice is nice!
For additional links to frugal tips and tricks follow me on Twitter. If you would like to contribute to FrugalNYC in any way (guest posts, articles, ideas, interesting links, advice, financial assistance, or anything else), feel free to contact me via email. Click here to add FrugalNYC to your RSS reader or Subscribe to FrugalNYC by Email.
Photo courtesy of _neona_